RECIPE: JAMAICAN SEA MOSS DRINK
Across the Caribbean, Irish Moss is hailed as a wonder seaweed, touted for its abilities to moisturize, vitalize, and, most notably, increase male libido. Sea Moss was popularized by Irish immigrants in Jamaica, which lead to an elixir that’s notorious among men (and some women) seeking a boost in the bedroom. Locals will wash the moss, boil it with milk, then add vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. This recipe and its variations are widely known and enjoyed all over the Caribbean. View our list of the many benefits Sea Moss has here.
To make the sea moss gel
▢100 g of Sea Moss. (Buy Now)
▢6 cups warm water to soak the moss
To make the drink
▢1 cup Almond milk can use coconut milk
▢Coconut condensed milk optional to taste
▢1/4 cup of Sweetener – coconut nectar agave nectar, maple syrup
▢1/8 tsp Nutmeg
▢1/8 tsp Cinnamon
▢1 tsp of Vanilla
- Place the sea moss in a colander.
- Use your hands to thoroughly wash any debris and excess sea salt from your moss. Do this several times until the sea moss looks and feels less gritty.
- Place the sea moss and flaxseed in a large size bowl with the 6 cups of warm water and leave to soak overnight. The moss will expand in size and the water should thicken slightly
- Use a colander to pour and drain off the excess water that was used to soak the sea moss
- Place the sea moss into a blender bowl and puree into a paste. The sea moss should be gelatinous in texture. Don’t worry it’s not too thick, to begin with, when you store in a large jar in the refrigerator it will turn thick over time
- Scoop out the paste and transfer it into a jar/bowl and refrigerate.
- Add 4tbsp of the sea moss paste along with the almond milk, vanilla, spices, sweetener of your choice into a high-speed blender
- Blend into a smooth consistency – add any extra i.e rum, stout, oats, etc.. now if required
- Serve accordingly.
This recipe is brought to you by ThatGirlCooksHealthy. Visit her site for a wide range of delicious healthy recipes.